E-ISSN 2602-3164
ejmi. 2018; 2(4): 220-223 | DOI: 10.14744/ejmi.2018.36854

Is Fasting Blood Glucose Is Sufficient For The Diagnosis Of Gestational Diabetes?

Pervin Karli1, Aslıhan Dilara Demir2, Banuhan Sahin1, Atiye Aysemin Gurcaglar1, Osman Fadıl Kara1
1AMASYA UNİVERSTY, 2SABUNCUOĞLU ŞEREFEDDİN RESEARCH HOSPİTAL

Object: Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) is defined as carbohydrate intolerance diagnosed during pregnancy. GDM is known to have a significant association between perinatal morbidity and mortality. Therefore, GDM patients who may be unobserved during diagnosis stage are of great importance. Our study aims to discuss the necessities of 75 gr OGTT, which is applied for routine GDM diagnosis and became controversial in recent years, and to examine whether it is possible to diagnose GDM solely with fasting blood glucose test and to determine how many GDM patients are unobserved due to fasting blood glucose-only testing. Material Methods: A total of 944 pregnant women at 24-30 weeks of gestation who applied to our clinic were included in the study. Following a retrospective evaluation of their 75 gr OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test) results, 61 of these women were diagnosed with GDM. Demographics, birth weight and length of the babies of these women were recorded and subjected to statistical evaluation. Result: We performed our study retrospectively on 944 pregnant women. 61 of these 944 women were diagnosed with GDM (6.4%). Among women with and without GDM diagnoses, no statistically significant difference was found for birth weight, length and sex. Conclusion: 75 GR OGTT is a gold standard diagnosis method for GDM. In our study, we aimed to investigate whether only fasting blood glucose is sufficient for GDM diagnosis. In GDM diagnosis, use of only FBG (fasting blood glucose) detects 80.3% of GDMs. Additional characteristics of women, who constitute the remaining 19.7% and not detected to have GDM with FBG, were unknown.


Cite This Article

Karli P, Demir A, Sahin B, Gurcaglar A, Kara O. Is Fasting Blood Glucose Is Sufficient For The Diagnosis Of Gestational Diabetes?. ejmi. 2018; 2(4): 220-223

Corresponding Author: Karli P.

Full Text PDF